- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 6 tsp. sugar
- 1 each egg
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 5 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 tbs. whipped cream
- Combine sliced strawberries and sugar. Mix well and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes. The mixture should become very juicy.
- Preheat conventional oven to º350 F.
- Whisk the egg, sugar, lemon juice and oil together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the lemon zest and dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients (egg, sugar, lemon juice and oil) and mix to create a thick dough.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Lightly grease a baking pan, drop 3 tablespoon size mounds on the baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake at º350 for 12-15 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the whip cream.
- Place bottom half of the shortcake on plate.
- Top with sliced strawberries, some of the juice from the strawberry/sugar mixture, and whipped cream.
- Top with the other half of the shortcake and enjoy.
Nutritional Key: Calories/Carbs/Proteins/Fat/Fiber 346/18/11/18/7
Vanilla Bean Flan
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1 each vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3 each eggs, medium
- 3 each medium egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons organic cane sugar(for egg/milk mixture)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar(for caramel sauce)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat convention (not convection) oven to 325F.
2. Lightly spray six 1/2 cup ramekins with PAM or other non-stick cooking spray.
3. Combine the heavy cream, half & half, milk, the split and scraped vanilla bean pod and its scrapings into a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pan; gradually bring to a simmer over medium heat, then remove from the stove top.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, yolks and five tablespoons of organic cane sugar and beat with a wire whisk until the mixture becomes frothy. Add one cup of the simmered milk mixture into the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Gradually add the remaining milk mixture into the egg mixture and pour through a fine mesh strainer into a clean dry container. Set aside.
5. To make caramel sauce: In a medium heavy bottomed sauce pot, combine the water, freshly squeezed lemon juice and the remaining half cup of organic cane sugar. (Be careful not to get the mixture on the sides of the pan as it will burn.) Cook undisturbed over medium heat until it becomes amber in color (like a penny) about 3 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon one tablespoon of the caramel into the bottom of each greased ramekin.
6.Place the ramekins into a deep baking dish. Ladle the egg/milk mixture over the caramel in each ramekin, dividing evenly. Create a steam bath by carefuly pouring hot water into the baking pan until the water is halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Make sure not to get any water in the ramekins.
7.Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the flans are set, but still slightly loose in the center.
8.Carefully remove from the overn, remove the foil, and let the flans rest in the hot water for about 10 minutes.
9.Remove the flans from the baking dish and allow them to cool slightly on the countertop before moving them to the refrigerator.
10. To serve: with your fingertips gently press around the outside of the flan to release it from the ramekin. Invert each flan onto a small plate and remove the ramekin. If desired, top with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Nutrition facts: Serves 6 - 5.2 ounce servings. 298 calories/ 17g. fat/30 g. carbs/6 g protien.
Orange Creme Brule
- 1 cups half & half
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/3 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 each egg yolks
- 1 Tbs orange liqueur
- 1/2 Tbs orange zest
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 2 12 tsp turbinado sugar (to top the brule)
1. Combine half & half, evaporated milk and vanilla bean in a medium saucepot and heat to just below a simmer on medium heat. Remove vanilla bean, split, scrape and add the scrapings back into the mixture. Discard scraped pods.
2.Add granulated sugar to the mixture and heat to a simmer; remove from heat.
3.Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Temper the eggs by slowly wisking in 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture.
4.Add tempered egg yolks into the sauce pot with the remaining milk mixture. Mix well.
5.Stir in orange liqueur, orange extract and orange zest.
6.Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into 4 oz. ceramic ramekins until the water level is as high as the brule. (custard)
7.Add hot water into the pan around the ramekins until the water level is as high as the brule.
8.Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven (300 degrees) for 30-45 minutes, or until the custard is set, but still slightly loose in the center.
9.Remove from oven and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least four hours.
10.Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of the turbinado sugar evenly over the top of each brule & carmelize with a small torch. Serve immediately.
Nutrition facts: 2.9 oz serving. 142 Calories, 5g Fat, 20 Carbs
Brûlée Banana Split
Banana Split Ingredients
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh berries
1 Tbsp. vanilla bean ice cream
1 Tbsp. fruit sorbet
1 Tbsp. chocolate sauce
1 Tbsp. agave caramel sauce (recipe below)
1 Tbsp. raspberry-pomegranate coulis (recipe below)
Banana Split Directions
- Peel and quarter banana lengthwise; coat with brown sugar and caramelize with a torch.
- Put two banana quarters in bowl; top with vanilla bean ice cream and fruit sorbet.
- Sprinkle with fresh berries, drizzle with agave caramel, raspberry-pomegranate and chocolate sauces.
Agave Caramel Sauce Ingredients
6 Tbsp. water
6 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. agave syrup
¼ cup cream
2 Tbsp. butter
Agave Caramel Sauce Directions
- Combine water, sugar, and agave syrup. Cook to a light caramel.
- Stand back and add cream, stirring to blend.
- Stir in butter.
Raspberry-Pomegranate Coulis Ingredients
6 Tbsp. raspberries, frozen
1 Tbsp. pomegranate juice
1 Tbsp. fructose (or sugar)
Raspberry-Pomegranate Coulis Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pot.
- Simmer over low medium heat until all the raspberries are broken down.
- Puree and strain.
Deconstructed Blueberry Cheesecake Recipe
8 oz. low fat cream cheese
7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 Tbsp. thawed blueberries
4 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
1. Blend cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
2. Refrigerate until set.
3. Once cheesecake mixture is set, divide into four portions onto plates.
2. Sprinkle each portion with 1 Tbsp. thawed blueberries and 1 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 ¾ Tbsp. butter, softened
4 ¾ Tbsp. packed brown sugar
2 ½ Tbsp. sugar
2 ¼ oz. pumpkin, solid pack
½ Tbsp. egg, beaten
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
5 oz. wheat flour, all-purpose
2 ½ oz. oats, quick-cooking
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.
- Beat in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by slightly heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10–12 minutes until lightly browned.