Grilled Sockeye Salmon with Roasted Garlic Aioli and Asparagus Fingerling Ragout
- 1 lb. wild salmon grilled to taste
- 4 servings roasted garlic and shallot aioli
- 4 servings asparagus fingerling potato ragout
- 8 ounces olive oil mashed potatoes
- Preheat Grill or saute pan to medium high heat.
- Season the salmon filets with kosher salt and pepper. Place the salon on the hottest part of the grill and cook for about 2 minutes. Turn the salmon and cook until medium, about 3 minutes.
- Plate and serve with the asparagus fingerling potato ragout and aioli sauce.Â
Roasted Garlic & Shallot Aioli
- 3 ounces roasted garlic cloves
- 5 ounces shallots, peeled and roasted
- 2 cups reduced calorie mayonanaise
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375° F; lightly coat garlic and shallots with olive oil.Â Roast uncovered on baking sheet or oven proof sauté pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir, then continue cooking until both garlic and shallots are tender and lightly browned, about another 10 - 12 minutes.Â Then remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes
- In a food processor or blender, combine mayonnaise, water and roasted garlic & shallots along with any remaining roasting oil; puree until mostly smooth, reserve until needed.
Asparagus Potato Ragout
- 1/2 cup Yukon Gold Fingerling Potatoes, sliced into wheels
- 1/4 cup asparagus
- t1 1/3 tsp baby carrots, cut into wheels
- 1 tsp grape tomato (cut in 1/2) or cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil (3 teaspoons)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 375º, thinly slice fingerling potatoes and toss in 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher or sea salt to taste.
- Spread out on baking sheet or in oven proof pan and roast for 7 minutes.Â Remove from oven and reserve until needed.
- Preheat sauté pan over high heat and saute asparagus wheels and carrots in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of garlic.Â Sauté until they begin to soften, about one minute.Â Then add in grape or cherry tomato halves and fresh thyme leaves.Â Sauté for additional minute.Â Add in roasted potato slices and remove from heat.Â
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as desired.
Nutrition Information:Â Calories 377/Fat 3g/Carbohydrates 12g/Fiber 1g/Protein 1.5g per serving
1/2 eggplant, peeled and diced
1/4 tsp. olive oil
½ onion, diced
1 1/3 tsp. garlic, minced
¾ green bell pepper, diced
14 oz. canned tomatoes
10 oz. red ripe tomatoes
2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/3 tsp. cumin powder
1 1/3 tsp. oregano powder
1 1/3 tsp. basil powder
2/3 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2/3 tsp. fennel seed
3 1/2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped fine
1/2 cup pinto or anasazi beans, cooked
1/2 cup garbanzo beans, cooked
1 3/4 tbsp. dill, fresh chopped
2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Peel and dice eggplant.
- Place in a perforated pan and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Let stand for 1 hour and pat dry.
- Preheat a soup pot or tilt skillet; add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Saute the eggplant, onions, garlic and green pepper until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Grilled Ahi Tuna with Caramelized Pineapple Salsa
Ingredients for the Tuna:
4 -four oz. pieces of Ahi tuna
Cajun spice (see recipe)
1 cup pineapple, diced small
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. red bell pepper, diced small
1 Tbsp. red onion, diced small
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
2 medium roma tomatoes, seeded & diced
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. salt
- Pre-heat a heavy gauge (thick bottomed) sauté pan for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pre-heat a grill. (A cast iron skillet can be substituted if you don't have a grill.)
- Add diced pineapple to the sauté pan. It should shriek a little when it hits the pan.
- Let the pineapple caramelize on one side before stirring (about 30-45 seconds).
- Continue sautéing until the pineapple is charred on the outside.
- Add the pineapple juice to deglaze the bottom of the pan, and reduce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, diced red bell peppers, diced red onion, basil and tomatoes. Reserve for service.
- Lightly coat the Ahi tuna with Cajun spice. Place on a hot grill (or in a cast iron skillet) and cook until aroma from the Cajun spice is released - about 60 seconds per side, depending on heat. The suggested serving temperature for Ahi is rare to medium rare.
- Remove the Ahi from the grill, plate up with your favorite rice dish, and top with pineapple salsa.
Pan Seared Duck with Ancho Chile Mango Salsa
Ingredients for the Mango Salsa:
2 cup mango, diced small (2 1/2 lb after peeling and seeding)
1 pepper ancho chili pepper, rehydrated and diced small
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped fine
6 Tbsp. kiln dried cherries
1 Tbsp. mint leaves, chopped fine
1/4 cup red onion, diced small
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. roma tomato, diced small
½ tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
Ingredients for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
1 cup apple juice
1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. Prickly pear syrup
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
3 tsp. Canola oil
4 Tbsp. Port wine
2 Tbsp. Soy sauce, low-sodium
¼ tsp. Liquid barbecue smoke
2 tsp. Bay leaves
4 tsp. Cilantro, chopped
⅔ tsp. Garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. Shallot, chopped
1 Tbsp. Cumin seed, toasted
⅔ tsp. Crushed red pepper
2 pinches dried thyme
2 pinches fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper
Ingredients for the Pan Seared Duck:
4 four-oz portions prickly pear marinated boneless duck breast, trimmed of most fat
1 cup mango salsa (see recipe)
Directions for the Mango Salsa:
- Soak the ancho chile in hot water to soften.
- For the chiles, remove stems, split open and dip in water to remove seeds before dicing.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Directions for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add trimmed duck breasts and marinate for at least 2 hours.
Directions for the Pan Seared Duck:
- Pre-heat sauté pan over high heat.
- Add two trigger pulls of olive oil from spray bottle (1/2 tsp. approx).
- Place duck fat side down in pan and sear until fat begins to brown. Flip over and sear other side.
- Place in 450 degree oven and cook to desired temp (med rare recommended).
- Top with mango salsa.
Pan Seared North American Elk with Kiln Dried Cherries, Black Walnuts & Port Wine Jus
Four 3-oz medallions North American elk medallions
2 Tbsp. Kiln-dried cherries
1 ½ Tbsp. Black walnut pieces
1 tsp. shallots, minced
¼ cup port wine
½ cup veal stock
To taste kosher salt
To taste black pepper
4 slices yam, cut into 1/2" slices, blanched until fork tender
8 spears medium asparagus, trimmed to 3-4", blanched to al dente, chilled in ice water
2 strips red bell pepper strips
2 slices yellow squash chips, 1" slices (bias cut)
- In a heavy gauge sauce pan, sauté shallots until translucent; add cherries and walnuts; sauté.
- Add port wine to the pan to deglaze.
- Reduce port by 3/4 until thick and syrupy; add veal stock.
- Reduce until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon; remove from heat.
- Using an apple corer, cut center from squash chips; stuff with 4 asparagus spears and 1 red pepper strip each.
- Heat asparagus bundles by steaming for approx 1 minute in colander or place in microwave safe dish with enough water to create steam, wrap in plastic and nuke for 45 seconds or until the bundles just begin to steam.
- Preheat sauté pan; coat lightly with olive or canola oil.
- Season elk with salt & pepper; gently place in span; sauté 30-40 seconds, then flip the meat over-suggested serving temperature is rare to medium rare.
- Plate elk up on top of two slices of warm yam, and place an asparagus bundle on the plate.
Fire Grilled Beef Sirloin Oscar
Ingredients for Beef:
1 lb. beef sirloin, 4 ounces per portion
4 tsp. blue crab meat, backfin
½ cup mock hollandaise (see recipe below)
16 each asparagus spears, index finger length
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup mashed potatoes
To taste salt & pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
Ingredients for Mock Hollandaise:
4 oz. soft tofu
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Pinch crumbled saffron
Pinch kosher salt
1 large egg yolk
To taste butter flavor (liquid)
- Cream egg yolk in small mixing bowl over a double boiler (sauce pot filled with steaming water).
- Place tofu, lemon juice, saffron, salt, Tabasco and butter flavor into a food processor and puree until smooth. Serve warm.
- Pre-heat grill on high heat. Lightly season sirloin on both sides with salt & pepper; coat lightly with olive oil.
- Toss asparagus spears in olive oil and lemon zest, coating lightly.
- Grill sirloin steaks to desired doneness and lightly grill asparagus spears until they begin to soften slightly.
- Crisscross asparagus spears on top of the mashed potatoes, then place beef on top of the asparagus, top with crabmeat and ladle hollandaise sauce over the top. Garnish with a pinch of fresh lemon zest.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis (per serving):