Pan Seared Duck with Ancho Chile Mango Salsa
Ingredients for the Mango Salsa:
2 cup mango, diced small (2 1/2 lb after peeling and seeding)
1 pepper ancho chili pepper, rehydrated and diced small
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped fine
6 Tbsp. kiln dried cherries
1 Tbsp. mint leaves, chopped fine
1/4 cup red onion, diced small
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. roma tomato, diced small
½ tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
Ingredients for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
1 cup apple juice
1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. Prickly pear syrup
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
3 tsp. Canola oil
4 Tbsp. Port wine
2 Tbsp. Soy sauce, low-sodium
¼ tsp. Liquid barbecue smoke
2 tsp. Bay leaves
4 tsp. Cilantro, chopped
⅔ tsp. Garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. Shallot, chopped
1 Tbsp. Cumin seed, toasted
⅔ tsp. Crushed red pepper
2 pinches dried thyme
2 pinches fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. cracked black pepper
Ingredients for the Pan Seared Duck:
4 four-oz portions prickly pear marinated boneless duck breast, trimmed of most fat
1 cup mango salsa (see recipe)
Directions for the Mango Salsa:
- Soak the ancho chile in hot water to soften.
- For the chiles, remove stems, split open and dip in water to remove seeds before dicing.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Directions for the Prickly Pear Marinade:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add trimmed duck breasts and marinate for at least 2 hours.
Directions for the Pan Seared Duck:
- Pre-heat sauté pan over high heat.
- Add two trigger pulls of olive oil from spray bottle (1/2 tsp. approx).
- Place duck fat side down in pan and sear until fat begins to brown. Flip over and sear other side.
- Place in 450 degree oven and cook to desired temp (med rare recommended).
- Top with mango salsa.
Pan Seared North American Elk with Kiln Dried Cherries, Black Walnuts & Port Wine Jus
Four 3-oz medallions North American elk medallions
2 Tbsp. Kiln-dried cherries
1 ½ Tbsp. Black walnut pieces
1 tsp. shallots, minced
¼ cup port wine
½ cup veal stock
To taste kosher salt
To taste black pepper
4 slices yam, cut into 1/2" slices, blanched until fork tender
8 spears medium asparagus, trimmed to 3-4", blanched to al dente, chilled in ice water
2 strips red bell pepper strips
2 slices yellow squash chips, 1" slices (bias cut)
- In a heavy gauge sauce pan, sauté shallots until translucent; add cherries and walnuts; sauté.
- Add port wine to the pan to deglaze.
- Reduce port by 3/4 until thick and syrupy; add veal stock.
- Reduce until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon; remove from heat.
- Using an apple corer, cut center from squash chips; stuff with 4 asparagus spears and 1 red pepper strip each.
- Heat asparagus bundles by steaming for approx 1 minute in colander or place in microwave safe dish with enough water to create steam, wrap in plastic and nuke for 45 seconds or until the bundles just begin to steam.
- Preheat sauté pan; coat lightly with olive or canola oil.
- Season elk with salt & pepper; gently place in span; sauté 30-40 seconds, then flip the meat over-suggested serving temperature is rare to medium rare.
- Plate elk up on top of two slices of warm yam, and place an asparagus bundle on the plate.
Fire Grilled Beef Sirloin Oscar
Ingredients for Beef:
1 lb. beef sirloin, 4 ounces per portion
4 tsp. blue crab meat, backfin
½ cup mock hollandaise (see recipe below)
16 each asparagus spears, index finger length
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup mashed potatoes
To taste salt & pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
Ingredients for Mock Hollandaise:
4 oz. soft tofu
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Pinch crumbled saffron
Pinch kosher salt
1 large egg yolk
To taste butter flavor (liquid)
- Cream egg yolk in small mixing bowl over a double boiler (sauce pot filled with steaming water).
- Place tofu, lemon juice, saffron, salt, Tabasco and butter flavor into a food processor and puree until smooth. Serve warm.
- Pre-heat grill on high heat. Lightly season sirloin on both sides with salt & pepper; coat lightly with olive oil.
- Toss asparagus spears in olive oil and lemon zest, coating lightly.
- Grill sirloin steaks to desired doneness and lightly grill asparagus spears until they begin to soften slightly.
- Crisscross asparagus spears on top of the mashed potatoes, then place beef on top of the asparagus, top with crabmeat and ladle hollandaise sauce over the top. Garnish with a pinch of fresh lemon zest.
Recipe Nutrient Analysis (per serving):
Jerk Seasoned Roasted Quail with Agave Pomegranate Glaze
4 Quail, semi-boneless (4 oz. each)
4 Tbsp. goat cheese (1 oz. per serving)
Jerk seasoning (recipe below)
Pomegranate reduction (recipe below)
Basmati wild rice pilaf (recipe below)
- Stuff quail with 1 oz. goat cheese.
- Dredge stuffed quail in jerk seasoning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
- Top each cooked quail with 1 Tbsp. Pomegranate reduction.
- Serve with ½ cup Basmati wild rice pilaf.
Jerk Seasoning Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 ½ tsp. dried thyme
1 ½ tsp. ground allspice
2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. fructose (can substitute sugar)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 ½ tsp. granulated garlic
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon Seasoning
- Mix all ingredients well.
Pomegranate Reduction Ingredients:
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 Tbsp. agave syrup
- Reduce pomegranate juice to 1/4 cup (be sure it has a syrup consistency).
- Add agave syrup and stir.
Basmati Wild Rice Pilaf Ingredients
1 Tbsp. pure olive oil
2 Tbsp. diced yellow onions
2 Tbsp. diced carrots
2 Tbsp. diced celery
1 cup basmati white rice
1 tsp. tarragon
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper, fresh ground
2 cups chicken stock
¼ cup cooked wild rice
- Bring pure olive oil to smoke point.
- Add diced yellow onions, carrots and celery. Sauté until onion starts to turn clear.
- Add basmati white rice, stir and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Stir in tarragon, allspice, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until done.
- Mix in cooked wild rice.
Quinoa with Vegetables & Feta
1 cup black quinoa (uncooked)
2 cup vegetable stock
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. coriander
1/8 tsp. cumin
- Place all items in 1 quart sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Let sit covered 10 minutes.
Vegetables & Feta Ingredients:
2 tsp. pure olive oil
1 ½ cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
½ cup asparagus, cut
½ cup leeks, sliced ¼ inch
½ cup roasted red bell peppers
½ cup roasted yellow bell peppers, diced ½ inch
½ cup vegetable stock
3 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
Vegetables & Feta Directions:
- Heat olive oil to the smoke point.
- Add garbanzo beans, asparagus and leeks, saute until asparagus softens.
- Add red and yellow bell peppers with vegetable stock and heat well.
- Add feta cheese, toss and serve over hot quinoa.
Char Grilled Wild Salmon with Apple Avocado Pico De Gallo
on Sweet Warmed Cole Slaw with Lime Citronette
4 pieces 4 oz. salmon
1 cup cole slaw (recipe below)
1/4 cup apple avocado pico de gallo (recipe below)
Lime citronette (recipe below)
- Char grill salmon.
- Place on 1 cup warmed slaw.
- Top with ¼ cup apple avocado pico de gallo.
- Drizzled with 2 Tbsp. lime citronette.
Sweet Warmed Cole Slaw Ingredients:
3 cup shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. agave
- Mix apple cider vinegar and agave well.
- Mix with cabbage and carrot.
- Heat to order in sauté pan.
Apple Avocado Pico De Gallo Ingredients:
½ cup apples, diced small
½ cup avocados, diced small
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. chopped mint
Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate.
Lime Citronette Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. lime juice
¼ cup fresh spinach
1 tsp. agave
¼ cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. pure olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- Puree first three items.
- Slowly add oils to emulsify.