Prickly Pear BBQ Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Jalapeno Cornbread & Red Chile Slaw
16 oz. pork tenderloin, trimmed of all fat
¼ cup prickly pear BBQ sauce (recipe below)
4 servings grilled jalapeno cornbread (recipe below)
¼ cup red chile pecan slaw (see recipe)
To taste kosher salt
To taste black pepper
- Lightly season pork with salt and pepper.
- Place on hot grill and mark on all sides; brush lightly with BBQ sauce and rotate; allow sauce to caramelize onto the meat.
- Place cornbread portion onto grill and cook until grill marks are visible on both sides.
- Remove pork and cornbread from grill; plate up and garnish each plate with 1 Tbsp slaw.
Prickly Pear BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
7 fl oz. ketchup
5 fl oz. prickly pear syrup
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. agave syrup
2 tsp. molasses
¼ cup cajun spice
Prickly Pear BBQ Sauce Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepot and simmer over medium heat until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Grilled Jalapeno Cornbread Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 large egg, beaten
3 large egg whites, beaten
¾ cup skim milk, regular
¼ cup canola oil
1 cup frozen corn kernels, roasted
½ cup cheddar-jack cheese, shredded
¼ cup diced green chiles
¼ cup jalapeno peppers, finely diced
¼ cup cilantro, rinsed and chopped
2 tsp. fructose
½ tsp. kosher salt
Grilled Jalapeno Cornbread Directions:
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Mix all other ingredients.
- Slowly mix other ingredients into dry, stirring to remove all lumps.
- Pour onto lightly greased sheet pan and bake at 350° F for 15-20 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Portion into 2 oz squares and reserve for service.
- Toast cornbread on grill just before serving.
Red Chile Pecan Slaw Ingredients:
¼ lb. red cabbage, shredded
¼ lb. green cabbage, shredded
2 Tbsp. pecan pieces, oil-roasted
¼ cup red chili vinaigrette (recipe below)
¼ each green bell pepper, julienned
¼ each red bell pepper, julienned
¼ each yellow bell pepper, julienned
1 pinch cumin
1 pinch black pepper
Olive oil (enough to lightly coat pecans)
Red Chile Pecan Slaw Directions:
- Lightly coat pecan pieces with olive oil and chili powder.
- Roast in 375° oven until nuts are roasted, about 7-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Trout Baked in Yellow Corn Husks
2 Idaho trout filets (8 oz. each)
8 tsp. fresh herb rub (recipe below)
8 slices lemon
8 slices roma tomato
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 squeezes fresh lemon juice
Dash kosher salt
8 corn husks
- Soak the corn husks in water to hydrate.
- Cut each 8 oz. trout filet in half making four 4-ounce servings.
- Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice onto the trout; add a small sprinkle of salt over each serving.
- Brush the trout with the herb rub.
- Top the trout with alternating slices of lemon and tomato; top each serving with a sprig of thyme.
- Carefully flip the trout over onto the corn husks so that the tomato/lemon/thyme are lying on the husk.
- Fold the husk over so that the trout is completely sealed inside; cover with a damp towel and reserve for service.
- To finish, bake for 6-7 minutes in a 400° oven.
Herb Rub Ingredients:
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup fresh oregano, chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. mustard seed
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 Tbsp. olive oil
Herb Rub Directions:
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together.
Cumin-Dusted Pan Seared Duck Breast with a Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique
4 duck breasts (4 oz. each)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 cup Cabernet (reduced by half)
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique (recipe below)
Parsnip Purée (recipe below)
- Rub the cumin into the duck breasts.
- Sear the breasts in a hot oven-safe skillet for 1-1 ½ minutes on each side.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 400F oven.
- Cook 10 minutes for each inch of thickness.
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. fructose
1 Tbsp. water
1 cup tart cherries, pitted
2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch slurry
Tart Cherry Cabernet Gastrique Directions:
- In a saucepot start reducing the wine by half.
- In a small sauté pan, add the fructose and water together and caramelize.
- After the wine has been reduced by half, add the cherries and vinegar and bring back to a boil.
- Slowly add the wine and cherries to the caramelized fructose, stirring constantly.
- Bring back to temperature and thicken with the slurry.
2 parsnips, peeled & chopped
5 cloves roasted garlic cloves
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Steam the parsnips until soft.
- Roast the garlic on a baking sheets with the olive oil and water in a 350° F oven until soft (approximately 10 minutes).
- Mix the garlic with parsnips and purée through a food mill.
Sonoran Spice Char-Grilled Pork Loin with Roasted Garlic-Shallot Aioli served with Yukon Gold Potato Hash
Pork Chop Ingredients
1 lb boneless pork loin cut into 4 oz. chops
¼ cup diced poblano peppers
¼ cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup diced onions
- Coat 4 oz. pork chop with ½ Tbsp. Sonoran spice rub (recipe below), cook on char grill to medium.
- Sauté potato hash (recipe below) until hot, place cooked pork on potato hash.
- Sauté ¼ cup diced poblano peppers, ¼ cup diced red bell pepper and ¼ cup diced onions, place ¼ of mixture on each serving top with 1 Tbsp of aioli (recipe below).
Sonoran Spice Rub Ingredients
1 Tbsp. salt (kosher)
2 tsp. dark chili powder
2 tsp. whole cumin seed
2 Tbsp. dried chamomile flowers
1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
1 ½ Tbsp. paprika
¼ cup onion powder
2 Tbsp. granulated garlic
5 whole pods star anise
1 Tbsp. fructose crystals
Spice Rub Directions
- In Teflon pans separately toast cumin and chili powder until color just changes. Remove from pan immediately.
- Grind pepper, chamomile, cumin and anise in spice grinder until completely ground.
- Combine with rest of ingredients in bowl and mix well. Store in airtight container.
Yukon Gold Potato Hash Ingredients
2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, diced ½”
2 Tbsp. pure olive oil
¼ cup red onion, diced ¼”
¼ cup green bell pepper, diced ¼”
- Toss diced potatoes with olive oil.
- Roast until done, cool.
- Sauté diced onion and bell pepper until soft.
- Combine cooled cooked potatoes with onion and bell peppers.
Roasted Garlic-Shallot Aioli Ingredients
1 large peeled and roasted shallots
2 large cloves roasted garlic
1 Tbsp. white wine
1 cups mayonnaise
- Put first three items in food processor and puree well.
- Add mayonnaise and puree
- Add salt to taste.
Pan-seared Diver Scallops with Garlic and White Wine on Nested Saffron Rice Noodles
1 lb. diver scallops
1 tsp. olive oil
½ tsp. garlic, minced
2 oz. white wine
Directions for Diver Scallops:
- Spray olive oil into sauté pan and bring oil to smoke point.
- Add scallops, sear and turn.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add white wine and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat ½ tsp olive oil in sauté pan. Add rice noodles with a pinch of salt.
- When scallops are done, place on ½ cup of saffron rice noodles (recipe below).
Saffron Scented Rice Noodles Ingredients:
1 pack rice noodles
½ tsp. crushed saffron
- Add crushed saffron to 2 qt. water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice noodles and cook until just done.
- Rinse noodles with cold water to remove starch and stop cooking process.
Herb-Marinated Lamb Chops On Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
12 lamb chops, ½" thick
½ cup olive oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. minced rosemary
2 Tbsp. dried basil
Pinch black pepper
- Combine all items. Place lamb chops in marinade for 30 minutes and remove.
- Broil lamb chops.
- Place lamb chops on potatoes.
- Serve with 2 oz. apple mint jelly (recipe below).
Homemade Apple Mint Jelly:
1 cup apple juice
1 tsp. fresh mint
½ tsp. agave syrup
1 tsp. agar
Directions for Jelly:
- Bring to a boil ¼ cup apple juice mixed with agar.
- Puree ¾ cup apple juice with fresh mint and strain.
- Add minted apple juice to agar apple juice.
- Add agave and chill until set.
Roasted Red Skin Potatoes:
1 lb. red skin potatoes, 1" diced
1 oz. olive oil
½ tsp. minced garlic
Pinch black pepper
Directions for Potatoes:
- Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Toss red skin potatoes in marinade.
- Roast until browned and done.